Periscope: How to start a producer broadcast through wowza or using ffmpeg
is a new way for live video creators to stream high-quality broadcasts from external sources, including streaming software, hardware encoders, and professional cameras, available on the latest Periscope iOS and Android apps.
If you are a broadcaster interested in using this functionality, you can apply here. Once accepted.
Creating an External Video Source:
- Go to People Tab, Settings, scroll down and select “Advanced Sources” (Note: you might need to force close and re-open the app if it does not appear.)
- Provide a Source Display Name (optional, but important if adding multiple sources)
- You will see an RTMP URL (“Primary Server”) and an external source ID (“Stream Name”)
Configuring an External Video Source:
Input Key Settings (make sure to input these accurately)
- – Bitrate: 800 Kbps
- – Output Resolution: 1280 x 720 (higher resolution) or 960 x 540 (for best low latency)
- – Encoder Output: x264
- – Audio Sample Rate: 44.1khz
- – Keyframe Interval: 2
- – Audio Bitrate: 64 Kbps
- – Frame Rate: 30 fps
- – For more static events such as news or conferences, increase specs to 1280 x 720 resolution and 900 Kbps but please monitor viewer comments for quality.
Obtain the RTMP publishing information from the Periscope App Settings
Transcode your stream using ffmpeg
ffmpeg -re -y -i rtmp://example.com:1935/app/mpegts.stream -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -s 960x540 -x264-params keyint=60:no-scenecut=1 -maxrate 800k -bufsize 800k -g 30 -r 30 -c:a aac -ar 44100 -ab 96k -ac 2 -strict -2 -f flv rtmp://ca.pscp.tv/x/1/KEYXXXXXXXXX
Previewing and Starting a Broadcast:
- Input a title
- Choose whether the stream is public or private at the top left of the screen
- Choose if you want to limit chat and/or Tweet
- Press “Go Live”
Periscope do not seem to list Wowza as a supported source Encoder or Service.
we solved this problem 🙂
Mangomolo Provides a platform for broadcasters to stream live and VOD On Demand Content to their audience.